Sunday, July 17, 2011

Jarhead



Photobucket
(2005)
Based on former Marine Anthony Swofford's best-selling 2003 book about his pre-Desert Storm experiences in Saudi Arabia and about his experiences fighting in Kuwait.


Jake Gyllenhaal and Jamie Fox star in this movie about a platoon of Marines during Desert Shield and then later into Desert Storm. It starts with Gyllenhaal's character going through training and learns he could become a Marine Scout Sniper. The movie is set in the Kuwaiti Desert where the platoon gets to have fun waiting for the war to break out. Much of the movie is about the comradery between the Marines and sweltering heat. Once the war starts Swafford(Gyllenhaal) and his spotter Alan Troy(Peter Sarsgaard) are tasked with a classic scout sniper mission that then gets hi-jacked by higher-ups. 

Being a fan of military movies I enjoyed it but it may not be your cup of tea. It happens to be on my list of background movies that I have going while there are gaming sessions to be had. All in all it is a Gyllenhaal movie so you can take it or leave it.

9 comments:

  1. I also recommend this movie. A solid 8/10 from me, if I were to give it a mark

    followed +

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching this a while ago. I think I'll rewatch it to refresh my memory. Following you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this movie a while back. Sorta made me feel sad, but was a glimpse of how it really it out there. Following you btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. should be a nice movie. gonna watch it next week. about your question on my blog. If you know how to play (strategies or at least read few poker books) you should check Party Poker. because if you have some poker knowledge money will go to you instantly. there are many bad players so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this movie before, I remember the trailer for it though.
    +1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really disliked this movie, I'm certainly a drama lover, but I expected some sort of fighting and it never happened throughout the whole movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one thing I forgot to mention. No fighting really happened. Which I guess is true about the 100 hour war. Mostly done from the air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This movie has a cool humor too. It's pretty sarcastic and evil, I like this.

    ReplyDelete